Join South Australian Tourism Award Winning Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari on an exceptional marine experience. Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari is the only operator in South Australia that provides the opportunity to swim with the Long-nosed Seals. Search for the dolphin pods that reside in these coastal waters and take the opportunity to swim alongside them in the wild. A truly unforgettable wildlife encounter. Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari provide two fantastic safaris:
Safari One - 75 Minute Coastal Safari
Travel along the ancient Kangaroo Island coastline onboard our 12-seater or 38 seater vessels with the opportunity to see dolphins, seals, eagles and other birdlife. Enjoy an exhilarating ride along the beautiful Kangaroo Island coastline.
Witness the pristine waters, stunning coastline and marine animals that inhabit this thriving environment. The skipper provides informative commentary as you cruise along. This is a must-do activity while you are on the island.
Guests are to arrive at Christmas Cove Marina, Penneshaw, 15 minutes prior to tour departure.
Safari Two - Two Hour Dolphins, Seals and Coastal Snorkelling Safari
An opportunity to swim with wild dolphins or among seals and snorkel some of Kangaroo Island's stunning coastline. It's an amazing wildlife encounter. We provide wetsuits, masks, snorkel and flippers.
Arrive at The KI Visitor Information Centre in Penneshaw (Howard Drive) where you will be fitted into a wetsuit, mask, snorkel and flippers and provided with a safety brief. Then jump on board our 12 seater or 26 seater vessels in search of the marine life that inhabits the incredible coastline. Spot the cheeky seals lounging on the rocks and playing in the water. Then it's time to dive in! These curious seals can be quite interactive and playful and provide a fun snorkelling experience.
- Guests who are on the snorkelling safari are to arrive at the KI Visitor Information Centre (43 Howard Drive, Penneshaw) 30 minutes prior to departure to be fitted into appropriate wetsuit & fins. The Information Centre is located directly opposite Christmas Cove Marina, Penneshaw, where you will depart from.
- These are wild animals and experiences change daily. It's all up to the animals as to how interactive they become.
- If wildlife does not permit you to go into the water on your tour and you are unable to participate in coastal snorkelling, we will provide a refund back to the viewing price.
- Seal numbers vary throughout the different seasons. Numbers peak in winter and are at their lowest
from Nov - Jan.
- The swim activity is not suitable for those with a pacemaker or those who are pregnant due to the electronic devices being used in the water whilst participating in the swim.
- A swimmer line with buoys is often used at the back of the vessel for the dolphin swim. You may be required to hold onto this line at times with the vessel moving which will require upper body strength. This swim takes place in open water, therefore it is recommended you have reasonable swimming ability.
- Children under the age of 9 are not permitted to enter the water. Children MUST be 9 years or older to participate in the coastal snorkelling, however, must be accompanied in the water with a parent / guardian at all times.
What to bring:
- Swimmers to come dressed in their bathers, and bring their own towel (dress to suit weather conditions).
- A long sleeve waterproof jacket or long sleeve shirt is advisable.
- Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, a waterproof bag for belongings to take onboard and water bottle.
- Camera and phones may be taken on board but are at the owner’s risk.