In preparation for your K'gari (formerly Fraser Island) adventure, we have carefully collated and answered some of your most frequently asked questions. For questions that are not listed, contact our friendly reservations on 1800 227 437.
Frequently asked questions
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Kingfisher Bay Resort offers a securely dingo-fenced property with interconnecting rooms, 2 and 3-bedroom villas, as well as a suite of holiday houses. You can view family-friendly options and current deals here.
K'gari Beach Resort offers a securely dingo-fenced property with resort hotel rooms and 2-bedroom apartments. You can view family-friendly options and current deals here.
The average summer temperature on K'gari is 29°C (86°F), average winter temperature is 22°C (72°F). Bring warmer clothing for cool winter nights.
The world's largest sand island requires a few 4WD tips and tricks to help plan your visit.
- Tyre pressure – Set it low, around 18 PSI when driving in the sand, as it increases the surface area for your tyre to grip, especially in softer sand conditions.
- Momentum – Keeping a steady pace is key, particularly when driving uphill on the tracks, to ensure that your tyres don’t sink into the sand.
- Technique – Drive to the conditions, and slowly work up your speed. The inland tracks have a limit of 30km/h - keep an eye out for pits and fallen tree branches. 75 Mile Beach has an 80km/h speed limit in some areas, however, it’s important to monitor the beach ahead of you and be cautious of washouts or run-off from nearby creeks.
- Planning – Travel along 75 Mile Beach travel during low tide times, where more of the beach is exposed and easier to navigate, and avoid driving two hours on either side of high tide.
- Recovery – Always pack a set of MAXTRAX + a snatch strap as your 4WD essentials.
- Courtesy – The inland tracks have a series of pull-off bays, allowing other vehicles to pass through. Be sure to give way to convoys and larger vehicles or coaches.