8 Day McLaren Vale, Kangaroo Island and Murray River Package
This 8 Day McLaren Vale, Kangaroo Island and Murray River package combines three magnificent South Australian regions where you can explore the natural beauty and scenic landscapes.
Arrive in Adelaide at your leisure and spend the day exploring Adelaide's great food and wine, arts and culture.
In the morning, head to the picturesque McLaren Vale wine region on a one day tour including visits to the spectacular d’Arenberg Cube, Beresford Wines, Wirra Wirra Vineyards and the McLaren Vale Visitor Centre.
Spend a free day in the city of Adelaide before a mid-afternoon transfer to Cape Jervis to meet the SeaLink Ferry to Kangaroo Island. Spend the night in American River at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge.
Your local Kangaroo Island Odysseys guide will take you on a personalised tour of Kangaroo Island to see the regeneration of the native vegetation and wildlife that was devastated by the bushfires in January 2020. Learn about the flora and fire ecology of this scenic wildlife haven, plus walk amongst wild Australian sea lions, and see kangaroos, koalas and native Australian birds in their natural wildlife settings. This tour will operate with a small group so you'll have plenty of time to learn about the environment, ask questions from your local guide and stop for photo opportunities.
After a good night's rest back in Adelaide, you will be transferred to Mannum to board the PS Murray Princess for a 3 night cruise. Discover the beautiful lower riverlands, between Walker Flat and Murray Bridge aboard the paddlewheeler PS Murray Princess. You'll cruise through spectacular riverlands and enjoy the great variety of flora and fauna. You'll take a nature walk, get up close to the river birdlife on board the ‘Dragon-Fly’ flat-bottomed boat, visit the township of Murray Bridge and learn about the food and wine of this famous region. See our full itinerary for more details.
- 3 nights accommodation in a Superior Room at the Majestic Roof Garden Hotel including daily full buffet breakfast
- 1 Day McLaren Vale & The Cube Experience operated by Adelaide Sightseeing
- Morning pick-up and evening set-down from the Majestic Roof Garden Hotel
- Expert commentary by local Driver/Guide
- Morning tea at Stump Hill Cafe
- d’Arenberg Cube tour, wine tasting and 2-course lunch
- Beresford Estate for Wine, Beer or Gin tasting
- Wirra Wirra Vineyards for wine tasting
- Free time in the main street of McLaren Vale
- 1 Day / 1 Night Kangaroo Island Road to Recovery Tour operated by Kangaroo Island Odysseys
- Afternoon pick-up and evening set-down from the Majestic Roof Garden Hotel
- Return scenic coach transfers to Cape Jervis taking in the picturesque Fleurieu Peninsula with its vineyards, coastal views and rolling hills
- Return transport to/from Kangaroo Island by SeaLink Ferry
- SeaLink coach transfer to accommodation (Penneshaw to American River)
- Personalised 4x4 touring with expert commentary from your local Driver/Guide
- All entrance fees and special permits
- Wander among Australia’s most accessible Australian sea lion colony at Seal Bay Conservation Park
- Enjoy a delicious lunch and afternoon tea
- See some of the different habitats and ecosystems in the fire affected areas
- Stop for photo opportunities of the wildlife and native vegetation regeneration
- Visit the Flinders Chase National Park to see the regeneration of the native bushland
- One night’s accommodation at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge (American River) Room Only
- 3 Night Discovery Murray Princess Cruise includes:
- Return Adelaide to Mannum coach transfers
- All meals (table d’hote and a la carte menus)
- An exciting selection of onshore tours and nightly live entertainment
- Explore the township of Murray Bridge or take a tour of the historic Roundhouse
- Take a guided nature walk at Salt Bush Flat
- Taste Riverland food & wine (a tasting of 2 reds & 2 white wines plus local produce)
- Get up close to the river birdlife on board the ‘Dragon-Fly’ flat-bottomed boat
- Optional Monarto Safari Park Wildlife Tour on Saturday departing Murray Bridge (optional - extra cost)
- Optional Barossa Wine and Heritage Tour at conclusion of cruise (optional - extra cost)
NOTE: Other Adelaide accommodation may be available at the Crowne Plaza Adelaide, Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide and the Sage Hotel Adelaide subject to availability and package prices will vary.
|8 days / 7 nights||
8th November 2021
|Day 1 - Arrive into Adelaide at your leisure||Day 8 - Depart Adelaide|
Day 1: Monday - Arrive Adelaide
Free Day and the evening is at your leisure. Overnight: Majestic Roof Garden Hotel or similar.
Day 2: Tuesday - McLaren Vale & The Cube Experience (B/L)
Leaving Adelaide, head out through the scenic southern suburbs. Enjoy coastal views as you head to Stump Hill Cafe for morning tea. There is an opportunity to sample wines from some of the regions smaller wineries that do not have cellar doors (this wine tasting is an additional cost) or peruse the gift and produce store and their colourful garden.
Then it’s onto one of the highlights of your day, the d’Arenberg Cube. Nestled amongst the vineyards, this 5 level “rubiks cube” has been carefully designed to entice and excite the senses. From the Alternate Realities Museum to the many art installations on display there is so much to see and experience whilst you are there. Enjoy a formal wine tasting on Level 4, before heading down to Polly’s Restaurant for your 2 course lunch.
At your next visit Beresford Wines, you can choose from one of three tastings in their new elegant Tasting Pavilion. The Premium Wine Tasting introduces you to a selection of their wines from the Estate and Limited Release range. The Vale Brewing Tasting offers up to five craft beers from the sessionable Vale range. And the third option is the 23rd Street Distillery tastings, where you can choose from five spirits or three craft gins.
The final cellar door is Wirra Wirra Vineyards, located amongst the gum trees in the historic ironstone cellars. Enjoy a short tour of the cellars and a structured tasting of their range of quality wines. Look out for the ‘catapult’ and the ¾ tonne Angelus Bell in the picturesque grounds surrounding the cellar door.
Finish the day with some spare time in the main street of McLaren Vale. You may like to pop into the Fruchocs Shop for some sweet treats, or explore the Fleurieu Arthouse housed on the historic Hardys Tintara site. Then settle back on the coach for your return trip to Adelaide. Overnight: Majestic Roof Garden Hotel or similar.
Day 3: Wednesday - Adelaide to Kangaroo Island (B)
Enjoy a leisurely morning and mid-afternoon depart Adelaide for a scenic coach journey to Cape Jervis taking in the picturesque Fleurieu Peninsula with its vineyards, coastal views and rolling hills. On arrival, board the SeaLink Kangaroo Island ferry for the 45-minute crossing to Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island. On arrival at Penneshaw you will be transferred to your accommodation at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge in American River. Overnight: Mercure KI Lodge, American River.
Day 4: Thursday - Kangaroo Island to Adelaide (L)
Meet your Kangaroo Island Odyssey’s guide and your first stop is at the spectacular Seal Bay Conservation Park, your guide will escort you on a memorable walk along the beach. This bay is home to a healthy Australian sea lion colony. Walk among the sea lions as they bask on the beach or among the sand dunes after their extensive fishing expedition. With your guide you are able to stand at a safe distance to these wonderful endangered creatures and watch their antics as they frolic, play and rest on the beach. This is a truly unforgettable experience — one that you will treasure forever.
Head down to Vivonne Bay beach where you will learn more about the coastal regeneration of this area, which was hit by a second wave of bushfires in January 2020. After a delicious lunch, continue travelling along the South Coast Road to Flinders Chase National Park on the far western end of the island. Here you will see the amazing regeneration that is taking place, with green shoots, new leaves and regrowth everywhere.
During the day there will be regular stops (where safe to do so), where your guide will explain exactly how the native bushland regenerates and will describe the species of flora and fauna that have been affected. You will also have plenty of opportunity to take some great photos. Make sure you keep an eye out for echidnas, koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, goannas and the wonderful birdlife of the island.
Heading home, via the North Coast Road, the regeneration is already looking amazing, and you will stop along here to learn more and get some great photos. Dusk is a perfect time to view wildlife, and at Stokes Bay you should be able to see kangaroos, koalas and possibly Australia’s rarest cockatoo, the Glossy Black Cockatoo. Your tour concludes back at Penneshaw for the return ferry and coach transfer back to Adelaide. Overnight: Majestic Roof Garden Hotel or similar.
Day 5: Friday - Adelaide to PS Murray Princess (B/D)
Enjoy a leisurely morning and mid-afternoon you'll be transferred to Mannum to board the PS Murray Princess. The majestic paddlewheeler will cruise downriver while you enjoy a Welcome Dinner before mooring at Mundurra where you may see nocturnal wildlife on the riverbank. Watch for kangaroos, hairy-nosed wombats, tortoises, egrets, and many other species. Our on-board entertainer provides music for the night owls. Overnight: PS Murray Princess.
Day 6: Saturday - PS Murray Princess (B/L/D)
In 1879 the first bridge to span the Murray River was built at Edwards Crossing, which quickly became the bustling township of Murray Bridge. After a hearty breakfast, choose to join a guided tour of the town’s historic landmarks and local attractions or go on a wildlife tour at Monarto Safari Park (additional cost).
Those who choose to experience Monarto Safari Park will arrive back on board the PS Murray Princess in time for lunch then join us in the Sturt Dining Room for a special presentation on the bounty of food and wine produced in the Riverland.
This afternoon, we continue our journey upriver and tonight we moor at Salt Bush Flat. After dinner, enjoy being entertained by our talented crew. Overnight: PS Murray Princess.
Day 7: Sunday - PS Murray Princess (B/L/D)
This morning join a guided nature walk where your guide will share the secrets of the local flora and fauna. It’s a great way to get in a little exercise before the PS Murray Princess departs and cruises downriver. Near Fromm’s Landing, we turn and head downriver to River View Lodge (near Piggy Flat / Coolcha) where your discovery vessel awaits for a wildlife tour. Travelling in small, personalised groups, we explore the maze of the river and the birdlife is amazing. Watch for darters, herons and egrets feeding along the river’s muddy edges.
The afternoon offers a choice of bocce or fishing challenges before a delicious final night dinner in the Sturt Dining Room. Overnight: PS Murray Princess.
Day 8: Monday - PS Murray Princess to Adelaide (B)
We head back to Mannum and after breakfast, we reluctantly say farewell as we arrive at the Mannum Wharf. You''' be transferred back to your chosen accommodation or the Adelaide Airport.
|Package Options (Tour Code MKIMR3)||Price from (AU$)|
Inside Cabin with 2 Single Beds on board the Murray Princess
Outside Cabin with 2 Single Beds on board the Murray Princess
Stateroom with 1 Queen Bed on board the Murray Princess
- NRMA Members are to phone SeaLink on 1300 267 143 and quote NRMA membership number at time of booking.
- Valid for sale 1st May to 30th June 2021.
- All prices are per person and valid for travel on selected departure dates as listed.
- Please advise any special dietary or allergy information at time of booking.
- Itineraries are subject to change without notice.
- Murray Princess: Surcharges apply for Inside and Outside cabins with a double bed. Passengers are subject to the Passenger Cruise Contract.
- *Kangaroo Island Odysseys: Minimum numbers 2. Maximum numbers 8.
*What to Bring: Camera supplies on Kangaroo Island are limited. Bring plenty of spare batteries for your camera or video recorder, sunscreen, sun hat, comfortable walking shoes and casual/comfortable clothes also a warm top and a rain jacket can be required any time of year. Do not forget personal medication.
*Luggage Limits: Luggage limits are 15kg per person as touring is in small 4WDs. This will require ‘packing down’ to one smaller bag per person. When this is necessary, excess luggage can be stored at your Adelaide accommodation.