Kangaroo Island Road To Recovery Tour
See the recovery and regeneration of the island for yourself
Your local Kangaroo Island Odysseys guide will take you on a personalised tour of Kangaroo Island to see the regeneration of the native vegetation and wildlife that was devastated by the bushfires in January 2020. Learn about the flora and fire ecology of this scenic wildlife haven, plus walk amongst wild Australian sea lions, and see kangaroos, koalas and native Australian birds in their natural wildlife settings.
This tour will operate with a small group so you'll have plenty of time to learn about the environment, ask questions from your local guide and stop for photo opportunities.
- Selected hotel pick up / set downs from Adelaide CBD hotels
- Return scenic coach transfers to Cape Jervis taking in the picturesque Fleurieu Peninsula with its vineyards, coastal views and rolling hills
- SeaLink coach transfer to accommodation (Penneshaw to American River)
- 1 night's accommodation at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge in American River
- 1 Day Road to Recovery Tour includes;
- See some of the different habitats and ecosystems in the fire-affected areas
- Visit the Flinders Chase National Park to see the regeneration of the native bushland
- Stop for photo opportunities of the wildlife and native vegetation regeneration
- Enjoy a delicious lunch and afternoon tea
- Wander among Australia’s most accessible Australian sea lion colony at Seal Bay Conservation Park
- All entrance fees and special permits
1 Day and 1 Night
Daily (excluding 24th & 25th December)
Adelaide Central Bus Station or selected hotels in Adelaide Hotels.
Option for a return flight to Adelaide is available - please contact SeaLink for details on 13 13 01 or email [email protected]
Drive to Cape Jervis or depart Adelaide for a scenic coach journey to Cape Jervis taking in the picturesque Fleurieu Peninsula with its vineyards, coastal views and rolling hills. On arrival, board the SeaLink Kangaroo Island ferry for the 45 minute crossing to Penneshaw on Kangaroo Island. On arrival at Penneshaw you will be transferred to your accommodation at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge in American River.
Meet your Kangaroo Island Odyssey’s guide and your first stop is at the spectacular Seal Bay Conservation Park, your guide will escort you on a memorable walk along the beach. This bay is home to a healthy Australian sea lion colony. Walk among the sea lions as they bask on the beach or among the sand dunes after their extensive fishing expedition. With your guide you are able to stand at a safe distance to these wonderful endangered creatures and watch their antics as they frolic, play and rest on the beach. This is a truly unforgettable experience - one that you will treasure forever.
Enjoy a delicious lunch before heading head down to Vivonne Bay beach where you will learn more about the coastal regeneration of this area, which was hit by the second wave of bushfires. Then travel along the South Coast Road to Flinders Chase National Park which was devastated by the worst fires to ever hit the island. Here you will see the amazing regeneration that has occurred so quickly after the event, with green shoots, leaves and regrowth everywhere.
During the day there will be regular stops (where safe to do so), where your guide will explain exactly how the native bushland regenerates and will describe the species of flora and fauna that have been affected. You will also have plenty of opportunity to take some great photos. Make sure you keep an eye out for echidnas, koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, goannas and the wonderful birdlife of the island.
Heading home, via the North Coast Road, the regeneration is already looking amazing, and you will stop along here to learn more and get some great photos. Dusk is a perfect time to view wildlife, and at Stokes Bay you should be able to see kangaroos, koalas and possibly Australia’s rarest cockatoo, the Glossy Black Cockatoo.
Your tour concludes back at Penneshaw for the return ferry and coach transfer back to Adelaide.
From Cape Jervis with return Ferry. Stay in a Superior King Bayview Room.
Tour Code: KIR2RCCP
Departs 6.00 PM and returns 8.15 PM next day - Overnight stay at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge in a Superior King Bayview Room.
From Cape Jervis with return Ferry. Stay in a Deluxe Studio Waterview Room.
Tour Code: KIR2RCCP
Departs 6.00 PM and returns 8.15 PM next day - Overnight stay at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge in a Deluxe Studio Waterview Room.
From Adelaide with return Ferry. Stay in a Superior King Bayview Room.
Tour Code: KIR2RCCP
Departs 3.30 PM and returns 10.40 PM next day - Afternoon pick-up and evening set-down at selected Adelaide hotels. Overnight stay at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge in a Superior King Bayview Room.
From Adelaide with return Ferry. Stay in a Deluxe Studio Waterview Room.
Tour Code: KIR2RCCP
Departs 3.30 PM and returns 10.40 PM next day - Afternoon pick-up and evening set-down at selected Adelaide hotels. Overnight stay at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge in a Deluxe Studio Waterview Room.
- Prices are per person, twin share and valid for travel 1st April 2021 to 31st March 2022.
- Accommodation is based at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge in a Superior King Bayview Room or Deluxe Studio Waterview.
- Child prices available for children aged 3 to 14 years upon request.
- Minimum numbers 2. Maximum numbers 8.
- Dinner and breakfast on both days is at your own expense.
- Itinerary is subject to change as the touring is flexible and can be adapted to the client’s interests and weather conditions on the day.
For flight options to/from Kangaroo Island, please refer to our Getting to Kangaroo Island information.
What to Bring: Camera supplies on Kangaroo Island are limited. Bring plenty of spare batteries for your camera or video recorder, sunscreen, sun hat, comfortable walking shoes and casual/comfortable clothes also a warm top and a rain jacket can be required any time of year. Do not forget personal medication.
Luggage Limits: Luggage limits are 15kg per person as touring is in small 4WDs. This will require ‘packing down’ to one smaller bag per person. When this is necessary, excess luggage can be stored at your Adelaide accommodation.