Half-Day Mandorah Explorer Tour - Beaches, WWII History, and more
Our most-asked question must be "What's on the other side of the Harbour?" The Half-Day Mandorah Explorer Tour gives you the opportunity to find out.
The tour commences on the 7:45am ferry from Cullen Bay to Mandorah. This is a commuter ferry service, giving you the first clue about life for those who live on 'the other side'. (Mandorah & Wagait Beach residents call Darwin the 'dark side'!). For the majority of residents, the ferry service is their daily commute to school, shopping, sport, and work.
It's a short crossing (about 15 mins) to Mandorah where you will meet your guide and commence your tour including:
- The amazing structure of the Mandorah Jetty and why it is built the way it is
- What rock formations can you discover at low tide
- West Point submarine nets and how they stopped an enemy sub during WWII
- Will you spot a Beach Stone-Curlew or White-bellied Sea-eagle?
- The resting place of Milady, an American B-24 aircraft, respectfully cared for and those lost remembered
- The white sandy Wagait Beach, her community and role in WWII
Hear about the development of the Wagait Beach community, see the beaches, WWII history, and keep your eyes peeled for our Top End birdlife and wallabies. Morning tea is included and your guide will find a shady spot to relax.