Kangaroo Island SeaLink was established in 1989 when it purchased the ferry operations of Philanderer Ferries that connected the South Australian mainland to Kangaroo Island.
What was then mainly a single ferry business has now grown into a successful enterprise operating under the name of the SeaLink Travel Group and is not just transport businesses in Australia, but has also built a significant tourism operation as a coach tour operator, travel wholesaler and retail travel business.
This year SeaLink is proudly celebrating 30 years of operating ferries, tours and holiday packages on beautiful Kangaroo Island. The business started with just one twin-hulled catamaran and has now grown to be the largest marine transport company in Australia, transporting over 8 million customers, around 14 Australian destinations each year. Find out more about our 30th birthday celebrations and savings.
Kangaroo Island SeaLink Ferries
- The roots of the SeaLink Travel Group go back to the 1970s when a Kangaroo Island businessman formed the company Philanderer Ferries. In 1989 the ferry operation was purchased by Malaysian company MBF and renamed Kangaroo Island SeaLink.
- In 1996, a group of South Australian investors and staff members purchased SeaLink from MBF, returning it to local South Australian ownership.
- Since this purchase in 1996, two new state-of-the-art ferries have been specially built for the Kangaroo Island service, making the journey faster, more comfortable, more reliable and safer.
- In peak periods, up to 12 services a day run each way.
- Kangaroo Island SeaLink is also the major freight service provider between the Island and the mainland with freight ranging from livestock and grain to dangerous goods, including fuel and gas.
- Through the years Kangaroo Island SeaLink has continued to excel in customer service, business excellence and marketing activities which has enabled us to compete as an international tourism player.
Our Travel & Tourism Brands include:
- Kangaroo Island SeaLink Ferries and Sightseeing Tours
- Kangaroo Island Adventure Tours
- Kangaroo Island Odysseys
- Flinders Ranges Odysseys
- Adelaide Sightseeing
- Vivonne Bay Lodge and Function Centre
- Vivonne Bay Holiday House
- Captain Cook Cruises Murray River
- Australian Holiday Centre - Adelaide
- TravelLink Technology
New South Wales
- SeaLink Queensland
- Kingfisher Bay Resort, Fraser Island
- Eurong Beach Resort, Fraser Island
- Fraser Island Barges
- Fraser Explorer Tours
- Stradbroke Ferries
- SeaLink Gladstone
- Bay Island Transit