Caring for Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island’s remoteness and isolation has created a special environment and many of Australia’s pests and diseases are not found here. Please help us keep it that way.
The island depends on primary industries and nature-based tourism as a major part of its economy and the introduction of just one new pest or disease could have devastating consequences.
There are some items that you cannot bring to Kangaroo Island. Please dispose of any prohibited items before traveling to Kangaroo Island. Severe penalties apply.
You cannot bring
- Bees, bee handling equipment and honey products (yes that means no jars of honey!). Kangaroo Island is a sanctuary to the only Ligurian bee population in the world. Help keep this species pure and disease free
- Potatoes for consumption or planting. Unwashed or dirty potatoes may carry disease, which could devastate the island’s seed potato industry. Please leave them behind. Washed or brushed potatoes in new packaging are permitted for consumption only. For more information contact: Primary Industries and Resources SA 08 8553 4949 or 1300 666 010
- Foxes, rabbits and declared weeds. The introduction of these pests would create an environmental disaster. For further information contact: Kangaroo Island Natural Resources Management Board on 08 8553 4300 or www.kinrm.sa.gov.au
- Download an Information Card here.
Other things you can do to protect Kangaroo Island
- Visitors must notify the Kangaroo Island Council if they are bringing a dog or cat to the island. This is per Council By-Laws 5 (dogs) and 6 (cats). To notify the council, simply call Customer Services on 8553 4500 or email [email protected].
- Pets are NOT allowed at Seal Bay or any national park on Kangaroo Island (including car parks).
- Residual plant material may be on your vehicle, camping equipment and hiking boots. Make sure they are free of soil before visiting Kangaroo Island
- Aquatic pests are a major threat to marine environments. Please clean your boat and equipment carefully before leaving for Kangaroo Island
- Vine cuttings from interstate must be inspected and certified. Help keep our vineyards disease free
For further information on Biosecurity on Kangaroo Island, contact Primary Industries and Resources on 08 85532 4949 or the Hotline on 1300 666 010.